The History of the Red Dress R*n:
“The Red Dress Run may be the only completely original idea the Hash House Harriers ever had. And it happened nearly by accident.
In 1987, a young lady wearing a red dress emerged from an airplane that had landed in southern California to visit a friend from her high school years. Shortly thereafter, she found herself transported to Long Beach, where her friend intended to introduce her to a zany running group called the “Hash House Harriers.” One member, noting her gender and attire, urged that she “just wait in the truck” until her host returned. With that goading, she ran into history sporting her red dress and heels.”
Click HERE to visit the Red Dress Run site to learn more.
Last year we were able to raise $5000 for charity. We hope to match or beat that number in 2017 year while putting on a great event for our participants. Our event is entirely volunteer run with no profit to our organization or any individual.
Phoenix Red Dress Run general information:
Our typical schedule for the weekend includes:
- A Friday night hash run, dinner, drinks and music.
- On Saturday we get our red dresses on and start our Red Dress Run in a downtown area (usually Tempe or Phoenix); then back to the hotel for dinner and more dancing and partying around the pool.
- Sunday morning begins with a hangover hash, followed by lunch and closing festivities, then we pack up and clean up. A fourth run usually starts in the late afternoon for those that can stay.
Typically some out of town guests arrive Thursday night and some stay over Sunday night. Additional events are usually hosted locally for Thursday and Monday.
- Rooms: Enough to hold 400-500 attendees – previous year events have sold out in days.
- Large courtyard for our outdoor event activities – Room for a small stage, space to host meals, etc.
- Security: Keep non-attendees out of the event.
- Pool: preferably heated but we’ll survive if it is not.
Any donated goods or services that drop our costs will lead to a larger amount being donated to our charity. We are happy to offer advertising opportunities to the businesses and individuals who help us with products and services.
Goods & Services We Need:
- Discounted or donated beverages; we typically purchase ~40 kegs of domestic beer, 10 kegs of craft beer, plus cider, wine, cups, soda, water, and ice.
- Items/local services that can be used as incentives for donation, raffle prizes, thank-you gifts.
- Discounted t-shirt printing – we design a t-shirt each year and sell it as an add-on – more $$ for charity!
- Discounted or donated food. We serve multiple meals and provide snacks 24/7 for our participants. They are very grateful!
- Put your name on it! Water bottles with your logo, beer coozies, whatever – we can distribute with welcome gifts or at check-in table.
- Venues – Our trail requires space to host 500 people and serve them drinks. This has typically been done with a mix of bars/venues and less formal privately-owned spaces where we can serve our own products. It is not easy to site spaces that work for 500 on a Saturday afternoon/early evening. If you know of or work with a space that may work please reach out!
- Entertainment – we have several opportunities entertainers and a high-energy crowd to work with. We believe in supporting local artists…by paying them…but if you’re interested in working with us on any terms please let us know! Help us make Phoenix shine for our visitors!
- Stage and Sound equipment – We are looking for ways to keep costs down on stage equipment and set-up/ breakdown costs.
- Bus transportation, refrigerated trucks – We pay for these services each year our of our event budget.
- Fun and games – have an idea? Let us know! We love to mix it up and provide new experiences for our friends.
Have questions? Contact us via email by clicking here: I WANT TO HELP WITH RDR!